Saturday, May 21, 2005

Magical History Tour

So, to set the stage properly . . . Tommy's lake house was Jack's part of the trip, Williamsburg was my part of the trip and yes, we let David plan Washington DC. Yesterday was easy - we went to David Wu's office and then had a tour of the capitol building with a very knowledgeable and overachieving MIT bound high school senior. The Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill is definitely the most delux place we will stay on this trip. Each bed has four down pillows and a down comforter, and my personal favorite, a pillow top mattress. But I digress . . .
David decided Saturday would be devoted to a walking tour of the Capitol. . . We left the hotel at about 10:30 am (sans breakfast) and other than 10 minutes in a Starbucks two hours later and about 20 minutes at a Baja Fresh around 3:00, we walked until a few minutes before 7:00 pm. Around 5pm I started whining openly. Jack only whined behind David's back. I tried to explain that I was by any measure, middle aged and his dad was flirting with Senior Citizen status, but it fell on deaf ears. And then an hour and a half later, we walked about four blocks to dinner!
Needless to say, my feet are tired.
I queried the boys about what they were most amazed about in DC. David was impressed that it was a regular city with regular stuff in and around the White house and the other special buildings. Jack was once again in awe of the real live Declaration of Independance, and Constitution. For most of the tour, I thought I would say that the Lincoln Memorial was my most amazing sight. I had missed it on my previous visit. . . but then toward the end of our tour I saw what was truly the most amazing sight. We were sitting on a bench on one of the many greenways, and were watching the pigeons and squirrels, when David pointed out a marvel of nature. There was an albino squirrel! He was complete with red eyes and everything. Well, I just have to say it was a wonder.
Tomorrow, we mail Jack back to PDX and David and I begin the drive home to Indiana. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home